• About
  • Advertisements
  • Terms of Use
  • Contact
Friday, August 21, 2026
The Sikaman Times
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus
No Result
View All Result
The Sikaman Times
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus
No Result
View All Result
The Sikaman Times
No Result
View All Result

Zulu King Misuzulu kaZwelithini: I am not poisoned, I am well

by The Sikaman Times
July 4, 2023
Zulu King Misuzulu kaZwelithini: I am not poisoned, I am well

Zulu King Misuzulu kaZwelithini | Photo: courtesy

SharePostSendShareSend

South Africa’s Zulu King Misuzulu kaZwelithini has moved to reassure his people and dismissed stories that he had been poisoned.

“I am not poisoned; I am well,” he said in a video released on Monday evening.

At the weekend, the king’s traditional prime minister said he had gone to neighboring Eswatini for treatment.

Chief Mangosuthu Buthelezi added that it followed the sudden death of one of the king’s senior advisers, also suspected of poisoning.

But in response, the king’s spokesperson, Prince Africa Zulu, alleged there was “an orchestrated agenda and a desperate narrative to communicate defamatory and baseless claims of His Majesty’s ill-health”.

The dispute is a sign of how the relationship between King Misuzulu and Chief Buthelezi has fallen apart, reports the BBC’s Nomsa Maseko in Johannesburg.

But in a strongly worded statement on Tuesday, Chief Buthelezi said there was “certainly no growing rift” between him and the king. He did acknowledge that there were “disagreements on matters from time to time”, but this was “like any other family”.

Chief Buthelezi added that he had not “acted in malice by making the announcement about his health”.

In the video released on Monday, the king, looking well, explained that he had traveled to Eswatini for a regular medical health check, something that Chief Buthelezi continues to dispute, saying that the king crossed the border to “urgently seek medical attention”.

“I’m happy; everything is well-functioning; there is no poison whatsoever. So please, people, mostly the Zulu people, and the Zulu royal family also remind everyone to please don’t listen to everything that people say,” the king said.

King Misuzulu was crowned in front of thousands of his subjects last October.

But a vicious power struggle has been raging within the royal family over the 48-year-old’s accession, while tensions have also recently surfaced between the monarch and Chief Buthelezi.

 

The Zulu king does not have formal political power, and the monarch’s role within broader South African society is largely ceremonial, but he remains hugely influential with a yearly government-funded budget of several million dollars.

King Misuzulu’s accession to the throne was sooner than expected, and he has been at the center of palace intrigue.

His father died during the COVID pandemic in March 2021 of diabetes-related complications.

He was the Zulu nation’s longest-reigning monarch, having served on the throne for almost 50 years.

King Misuzulu’s mother, Queen Mantfombi Dlamini-Zulu, then became regent, but she died a month later.

She was the sister of Eswatini’s King Mswati III, Africa’s only absolute monarch.

 

At the time, Chief Buthelezi dismissed rumours that she had been poisoned.

He had backed King Misuzulu’s accession to the throne after her death, but recent reports suggested that sharp differences had emerged between the two.

It followed a dispute over the chairmanship of the Ingonyama Trust Board, which manages vast tracts of land controlled by the monarch.

The king appointed Chief Thanduyise Mzimela as its chairman, but this was opposed by Chief Buthelezi, who felt he was inexperienced for the post, according to local media.

Advertisement Advertisement
Share1Tweet1SendShareSend
Previous Post

Kenyan women having fewer children – survey

Next Post

Akufo-Addo inaugurates redeveloped Kwame Nkrumah Mausoleum

Related Posts

Mahama nominates three to Supreme Court, bench set to increase to 21
General

Supreme Court rejects Oppong Nkrumah bid to halt legal-vacation trials

August 21, 2026
Cocoa Marketing Company to introduce 24-hour programme to boost cocoa export efficiency
Business

Cocoa Marketing Company to introduce 24-hour programme to boost cocoa export efficiency

August 21, 2026
Mineworkers demand immediate release of over GH¢380m in locked-up funds
Business

Mineworkers demand immediate release of over GH¢380m in locked-up funds

August 20, 2026
Oppong Nkrumah demands parliamentary briefing on IMF’s PCI programme
General

Supreme Court to rule on Oppong Nkrumah’s bid to halt legal vacation trials Friday

August 20, 2026
GES investigates alleged sexual assault of student at Bolgatanga Girls SHS
Education

GES investigates alleged sexual assault of student at Bolgatanga Girls SHS

August 20, 2026
Flagship policies missing from 2026 Mid-Year Budget Review
Business

Macroeconomic gains raise fresh call for transparency, effective implementation – BudgIT Ghana

August 20, 2026
Next Post
Akufo-Addo inaugurates redeveloped Kwame Nkrumah Mausoleum

Akufo-Addo inaugurates redeveloped Kwame Nkrumah Mausoleum

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • EXPLAINER: Why predicted rainfall may not always materialise

    EXPLAINER: Why predicted rainfall may not always materialise

    13 shares
    Share 5 Tweet 3
  • Police investigate journalist assault at EOCO during Wontumi arrest

    41 shares
    Share 16 Tweet 10
  • Producer Price Inflation declines to 23.1% in December 2024.

    45 shares
    Share 18 Tweet 11
  • We’re not negotiating; we’re executing the court’s explicit order – Nduom

    18 shares
    Share 7 Tweet 5
  • GMC to build $450m refinery, advancing value addition in mining sector

    30 shares
    Share 12 Tweet 8

Browse by Category

  • Africa
  • Ahafo
  • Art & Entertainment
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Ashanti
  • Aviation
  • Banking & Finance
  • Bono East
  • Brong Ahafo
  • Business
  • Business
  • Central
  • Communication
  • Culture
  • Eastern
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entrepreneurship & Local Business
  • Exclude
  • Features
  • General
  • Ghana
  • Greater Accra
  • Health
  • Health
  • International
  • International Trade
  • Lifestyle
  • Lifestyle
  • Media
  • National
  • News
  • North East
  • Northern
  • Oil & Gas
  • Oti
  • Politics
  • Politics
  • Real Estate
  • Regional
  • Relationship
  • Relationship
  • Religion
  • Savannah
  • Social
  • Social
  • Sports
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Tourism & Hospitality
  • Trade
  • Transportation
  • Uncategorized
  • Upper East
  • Upper West
  • Volta
  • Western
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

About Us

© 2022- 2026 The Sikaman Times

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus

About Us

© 2022- 2026 The Sikaman Times

QUICK LINKS

About

Privacy Policy

Terms Of Use

Advertisement

Contact

FOCUS

Ghana

Africa

International

CATEGORIES

General News

Business

Opinions

Politics

Technology

EXTRAS

Sports

Entertainment

Health & Wellness

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook Twitter Youtube Instagram Linkedin

© COPYRIGHT 2022-2026
The Sikaman Times