• About
  • Advertisements
  • Terms of Use
  • Contact
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
The Sikaman Times
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus
No Result
View All Result
The Sikaman Times
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus
No Result
View All Result
The Sikaman Times
No Result
View All Result

Cabinet approves review of public lands — Lands Minister

by The Sikaman Times
January 28, 2026
‘We have to go radical’: Lands Minister defends new measures on galamsey
SharePostSendShareSend

Cabinet has approved a request by the Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources to review, on a case-by-case basis, all public lands acquired across the country.

“Processes for the acquisition of state lands that were not completed before I took office have been cancelled outright. We want to protect our public lands,” the Minister of Lands and Natural Resources, Mr. Emmanuel Armah-Kofi Buah, has said.

He further stated that efforts were underway to digitise land records to enhance effective land administration, while decentralising service delivery to all parts of the country.

Mr. Buah also said the Office of the Administrator of Stool Lands and the Lands Commission were intensifying efforts to register all customary lands nationwide.

He added that the ministry was working to secure the country’s land boundaries through the Ghana Boundary Commission.

The minister made these remarks while briefing the Vice-President, Prof. Naana Jane Opoku-Agyemang, during her working visit to the ministry in Accra yesterday.

Present at the meeting were the Deputy Minister of Lands and Natural Resources, Alhaji Yusif Sulemana; technocrats at the ministry; the Chief Executive Officer of the Forestry Commission, Dr. Hugh C. A. Brown; and heads of other agencies under the ministry.

Mr. Buah described the visit as significant, saying it would motivate the ministry and its agencies to improve their performance.

Mining Sector

On the mining sector, the minister said efforts were being made to “turn all brown water into blue” by cracking down on illegal mining activities, particularly in water bodies.

He noted that the establishment of the National Anti-Illegal Mining Operations Secretariat (NAIMOS) had been a major intervention and had yielded considerable results in the fight against galamsey.

Mr. Buah also said regulatory reforms, including the review of the licensing regime in the small-scale mining sector, had sent positive signals of the government’s commitment to sanitising the industry.

He added that the revocation of Legislative Instrument (L.I.) 2462 was a clear signal that mining activities would not be permitted in forest reserves.

According to the minister, about 1,800 pieces of earth-moving equipment had been registered, many of which were currently being tracked. He also disclosed that approximately 1,600 river guards had been recruited to monitor illegal mining activities along river bodies.

Collaboration and Environmental Protection

The Vice-President, Prof. Naana Jane Opoku-Agyemang, urged agencies under the ministry to deepen collaboration to ensure effective management of the country’s natural resources.

She said the natural resource sector was crucial to Ghana’s sustainable development and therefore required efficient management. She added that the government’s transformational agenda demanded that all ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs) align their activities to accelerate national development.

On environmental protection, Prof. Opoku-Agyemang said sound environmental management was central to sustainable national development and must be pursued with urgency.

She described it as unacceptable that the country’s land, forest and water resources continued to be degraded through irresponsible mining practices, stressing that “protecting our environment is protecting ourselves, and all of us must be committed to working hard to safeguard these resources.”

The Vice-President further urged the minister to take steps to ensure that land was made available to women to enable them to actively engage in agriculture.

 

Source: Graphic Online [www.graphic.com.gh]

Advertisement Advertisement
Tags: Featured
ShareTweetSendShareSend
Previous Post

Supreme Court upholds NPP MP’s Kpandai seat in 4–1 ruling

Next Post

Mobile money transactions hit GHS 518bn as active accounts rise to 26.7m

Related Posts

GAF airlifts injured Ghanaian traders home after Burkina Faso attack
General

GAF airlifts injured Ghanaian traders home after Burkina Faso attack

February 18, 2026
Sam George: 7 August action will protect Ghanaians from DStv monopoly
General

Explicit video case: Gov’t confirms Russian identity, engages INTERPOL

February 18, 2026
CJ dismisses petitions to remove EC Chair, deputies and Special Prosecutor
General

CJ dismisses petitions to remove EC Chair, deputies and Special Prosecutor

February 18, 2026
Dr. Cassiel Ato Forson
Business

Government settles GH¢10bn DDEP interest

February 18, 2026
Project Finance: Ghana’s Untapped Key to Infrastructure Development [ARTICLE]
Business

Project Finance: Ghana’s Untapped Key to Infrastructure Development [ARTICLE]

February 17, 2026
U.S. Embassy opens 1,000+ visa interview slots for next week
General

U.S. Embassy opens 1,000+ visa interview slots for next week

February 17, 2026
Next Post
Scrap e-levy; has outlived its purpose – Prof. Peter Quartey

Mobile money transactions hit GHS 518bn as active accounts rise to 26.7m

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • U.S. Embassy opens 1,000+ visa interview slots for next week

    U.S. Embassy opens 1,000+ visa interview slots for next week

    2 shares
    Share 1 Tweet 1
  • Project Finance: Ghana’s Untapped Key to Infrastructure Development [ARTICLE]

    2 shares
    Share 1 Tweet 1
  • Ramadan 2026 to begin February 18, National Chief Imam’s office announces

    5 shares
    Share 2 Tweet 1
  • Government settles GH¢10bn DDEP interest

    1 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • GAF airlifts injured Ghanaian traders home after Burkina Faso attack

    1 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
The Sikaman Times

We bring you the best Premium WordPress Themes that perfect for news, magazine, personal blog, etc. Check our landing page for details.

Follow Us

Browse by Category

  • Africa
  • Ahafo
  • Art & Entertainment
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Ashanti
  • Aviation
  • Banking & Finance
  • Bono East
  • Brong Ahafo
  • Business
  • Business
  • Central
  • Communication
  • Culture
  • Eastern
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entrepreneurship & Local Business
  • Exclude
  • Features
  • General
  • Ghana
  • Greater Accra
  • Health
  • Health
  • International
  • International Trade
  • Lifestyle
  • Lifestyle
  • Media
  • National
  • News
  • North East
  • Northern
  • Oil & Gas
  • Oti
  • Politics
  • Politics
  • Real Estate
  • Regional
  • Relationship
  • Relationship
  • Religion
  • Savannah
  • Social
  • Social
  • Sports
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Trade
  • Transportation
  • Uncategorized
  • Upper East
  • Upper West
  • Volta
  • Western

Recent News

GAF airlifts injured Ghanaian traders home after Burkina Faso attack

GAF airlifts injured Ghanaian traders home after Burkina Faso attack

February 18, 2026
Sam George: 7 August action will protect Ghanaians from DStv monopoly

Explicit video case: Gov’t confirms Russian identity, engages INTERPOL

February 18, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

About Us

© 2022- 2026 The Sikaman Times

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus

About Us

© 2022- 2026 The Sikaman Times

QUICK LINKS

About

Privacy Policy

Terms Of Use

Advertisement

Contact

FOCUS

Ghana

Africa

International

CATEGORIES

General News

Business

Opinions

Politics

Technology

EXTRAS

Sports

Entertainment

Health & Wellness

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook Twitter Youtube Instagram Linkedin

© COPYRIGHT 2022-2026
The Sikaman Times