• About
  • Advertisements
  • Terms of Use
  • Contact
Friday, August 21, 2026
The Sikaman Times
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus
No Result
View All Result
The Sikaman Times
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus
No Result
View All Result
The Sikaman Times
No Result
View All Result

Gabon soldiers say Bongo ‘regime’ ended, borders closed

by The Sikaman Times
August 30, 2023
Gabon soldiers say Bongo ‘regime’ ended, borders closed
SharePostSendShareSend

A group of Gabonese military officers appeared on television Wednesday, announcing they were “putting an end to the current regime” and cancelling an election that, according to official results, President Ali Bongo Ondimba won.

During the announcement, AFP journalists heard gunfire ring out in the Gabonese capital, Libreville.

While announcing the cancellation of the vote results, one of the officers said “all the institutions of the republic” had been dissolved.

The address was read by an officer flanked by a group of a dozen army colonels, members of the elite Republican Guard, regular soldiers, and others.

It came moments after the national election authority said Bongo had won a third term in Saturday’s election with 64.27 percent of the vote.

Bongo has been in power for 14 years in the oil-rich West African country.

“Today, the country is going through a serious institutional, political, economic, and social crisis,” the officer said on TV channel Gabon 24.

He said the recent election “did not meet the conditions for a transparent, credible, and inclusive ballot so much hoped for by the people of Gabon.”

“We have decided to defend peace by putting an end to the current regime,” the officer said, adding that he was speaking on behalf of the “Committee for the Transition and Restoration of Institutions”.

The statement was also broadcast on Gabon 1 public television.

“To this end, the general elections of 26 August 2023 and the truncated results are cancelled,” he added.

‘Fraud’ accusation

“All the institutions of the republic are dissolved: the government, the Senate, the National Assembly, and the Constitutional Court,” he added, announcing the closure of the country’s borders “until further notice”.

According to the results issued prior to the officers’ announcement, Bongo’s main rival, Albert Ondo Ossa, won just 30.77 percent of the vote.

Before polls closed on Saturday, Ondo Ossa had accused Bongo of “fraud” while claiming he was the rightful winner.

While the election was under way, Bongo’s government imposed a curfew and a nationwide internet shutdown to prevent the spread of “false news” and possible violence.

On Monday, Ondo Ossa’s campaign manager, Mike Jocktane, called on Bongo to hand over power “without bloodshed”, insisting a partial count had Ondo Ossa clearly ahead without providing any proof.

Gabonese law forbids any publication of partial results pending the final result, which only the Gabonese Elections Centre, the body that organises the polls, is legally allowed to publish.

Situation remains unclear

The situation in the capital wasn’t immediately clear, and there was no word from the president.

The mutinous officers vowed to respect “Gabon’s commitments to the national and international community.”

China calls for the safety of Gabon’s President Bongo to be guaranteed.

French Prime Minister Elisabeth Borne said Wednesday: “We are following the situation in Gabon closely.”

Gabon is a member of the OPEC oil cartel, with a production of some 181,000 barrels of crude a day, making it the eighth-largest producer of oil in sub-Saharan Africa. It is home to over 2 million people.

 

Source: Africa News

Advertisement Advertisement
Tags: Ali Bongo OndimbaFeaturedGabon
Share1Tweet1SendShareSend
Previous Post

NPP National Council to decide tie between Agyarko and Addai-Nimoh

Next Post

Dollar-denominated DDEP ends with 92% participation rate – Govt

Related Posts

Mahama nominates three to Supreme Court, bench set to increase to 21
General

Supreme Court rejects Oppong Nkrumah bid to halt legal-vacation trials

August 21, 2026
Oppong Nkrumah demands parliamentary briefing on IMF’s PCI programme
General

Supreme Court to rule on Oppong Nkrumah’s bid to halt legal vacation trials Friday

August 20, 2026
You can’t prominently claim the gains and disown the losses – Minority tells GoldBod
General

You can’t prominently claim the gains and disown the losses – Minority tells GoldBod

August 20, 2026
Minority fires back at GoldBod, insists GH¢22bn DGPP loss must be accounted for
General

Minority fires back at GoldBod, insists GH¢22bn DGPP loss must be accounted for

August 20, 2026
Wontumi’s bail bid put off to October 15 as judge stays away
General

Wontumi’s bail bid put off to October 15 as judge stays away

August 19, 2026
2026 Budget: COVID-19 levy repealed, VAT threshold raised
General

Government pays GH¢10.8bn DDEP coupon in full

August 19, 2026
Next Post
Government to boost private sector participation with Mutual Prosperity Dialogue

Dollar-denominated DDEP ends with 92% participation rate - Govt

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Producer Price Inflation declines to 23.1% in December 2024.

    Producer Price Inflation declines to 23.1% in December 2024.

    46 shares
    Share 18 Tweet 12
  • Cocoa Marketing Company to introduce 24-hour programme to boost cocoa export efficiency

    2 shares
    Share 1 Tweet 1
  • Police investigate journalist assault at EOCO during Wontumi arrest

    41 shares
    Share 16 Tweet 10
  • EXPLAINER: Why predicted rainfall may not always materialise

    13 shares
    Share 5 Tweet 3
  • Menzgold: 60% of customers ineligible for payment after validation

    28 shares
    Share 11 Tweet 7

Browse by Category

  • Africa
  • Ahafo
  • Art & Entertainment
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Ashanti
  • Aviation
  • Banking & Finance
  • Bono East
  • Brong Ahafo
  • Business
  • Business
  • Central
  • Communication
  • Culture
  • Eastern
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entrepreneurship & Local Business
  • Exclude
  • Features
  • General
  • Ghana
  • Greater Accra
  • Health
  • Health
  • International
  • International Trade
  • Lifestyle
  • Lifestyle
  • Media
  • National
  • News
  • North East
  • Northern
  • Oil & Gas
  • Oti
  • Politics
  • Politics
  • Real Estate
  • Regional
  • Relationship
  • Relationship
  • Religion
  • Savannah
  • Social
  • Social
  • Sports
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Tourism & Hospitality
  • Trade
  • Transportation
  • Uncategorized
  • Upper East
  • Upper West
  • Volta
  • Western
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

About Us

© 2022- 2026 The Sikaman Times

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus

About Us

© 2022- 2026 The Sikaman Times

QUICK LINKS

About

Privacy Policy

Terms Of Use

Advertisement

Contact

FOCUS

Ghana

Africa

International

CATEGORIES

General News

Business

Opinions

Politics

Technology

EXTRAS

Sports

Entertainment

Health & Wellness

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook Twitter Youtube Instagram Linkedin

© COPYRIGHT 2022-2026
The Sikaman Times