• About
  • Advertisements
  • Terms of Use
  • Contact
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
The Sikaman Times
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus
No Result
View All Result
The Sikaman Times
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus
No Result
View All Result
The Sikaman Times
No Result
View All Result

Military takes control of Guinea-Bissau after disputed election

by Features
November 27, 2025
Military takes control of Guinea-Bissau after disputed election
SharePostSendShareSend

Soldiers in Guinea-Bissau appeared Wednesday on state television saying they have taken control of the country.

In a statement, the military high command said it had “assumed the full powers of the State of the Republic of Guinea-Bissau”.

It said this was in reaction to “the discovery of an ongoing plan” aiming to destabilise the country by attempting to “manipulate electoral results”.

The military’s announcement came a day after both the top candidates in last week’s tightly contested presidential election declared victory.

Earlier in the day, shots were heard at several sites in the capital, Bissau, including the presidential palace, although it’s unclear who was responsible.

Military spokesperson, Dinis N’Tchama, said the soldiers had formed “the high military command for the restoration of order”, which would rule the country until further notice.

“To suspend, until new orders, all of the institutions of the Republic of Guinea-Bissau, to suspend, until new orders, the activities of all media outlets, to immediately suspend the current electoral process, to close the land border, by sea and national airspace,” he said.

Journalists in the capital reported seeing roads leading to the presidential palace closed off, with checkpoints manned by heavily armed and masked soldiers.

Outgoing President Umaro Sissoco Embaló and opposition candidate Fernando Dias da Costa both claimed to have won last week’s election.

The election commission was due to announce provisional results in the presidential and parliamentary elections on Thursday.

A key member of the international election observer group said the election commission chief was arrested and that the commission office was sealed off by the military.

French news outlet, Jeune Afrique, quoted Embaló as saying he was arrested in what he called a coup led by the army chief of staff. He said he was not subjected to violence.

He had faced a legitimacy crisis with the opposition saying his tenure had long expired and that they do not recognise him as president.

Embaló came to power in February 2020, but the country’s constitution sets the presidential term at five years.

The military takeover is the latest in a string of coups and attempted coups in Guinea-Bissau since it gained independence from Portugal in 1974.


Source: Africa News [www.africanews.com]

Advertisement Advertisement
Tags: CoupFeaturedGuinea Bissau
ShareTweetSendShareSend
Previous Post

2026 Budget: ‘Big push’ for roads, education plans raise calls for clear timelines

Next Post

Ghana condemns military coup in Guinea-Bissau

Related Posts

GAF airlifts injured Ghanaian traders home after Burkina Faso attack
General

GAF airlifts injured Ghanaian traders home after Burkina Faso attack

February 18, 2026
Sam George: 7 August action will protect Ghanaians from DStv monopoly
General

Explicit video case: Gov’t confirms Russian identity, engages INTERPOL

February 18, 2026
CJ dismisses petitions to remove EC Chair, deputies and Special Prosecutor
General

CJ dismisses petitions to remove EC Chair, deputies and Special Prosecutor

February 18, 2026
Dr. Cassiel Ato Forson
Business

Government settles GH¢10bn DDEP interest

February 18, 2026
U.S. Embassy opens 1,000+ visa interview slots for next week
General

U.S. Embassy opens 1,000+ visa interview slots for next week

February 17, 2026
‘Competition, not controls’: ILEE boss proposes supply-side fix to high prices
Business

‘Competition, not controls’: ILEE boss proposes supply-side fix to high prices

February 17, 2026
Next Post
Foreign Affairs Minister, S Okudzeto Ablakwa

Ghana condemns military coup in Guinea-Bissau

  • Project Finance: Ghana’s Untapped Key to Infrastructure Development [ARTICLE]

    Project Finance: Ghana’s Untapped Key to Infrastructure Development [ARTICLE]

    2 shares
    Share 1 Tweet 1
  • U.S. Embassy opens 1,000+ visa interview slots for next week

    2 shares
    Share 1 Tweet 1
  • Ramadan 2026 to begin February 18, National Chief Imam’s office announces

    5 shares
    Share 2 Tweet 1
  • Government settles GH¢10bn DDEP interest

    1 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • GAF airlifts injured Ghanaian traders home after Burkina Faso attack

    1 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
The Sikaman Times

We bring you the best Premium WordPress Themes that perfect for news, magazine, personal blog, etc. Check our landing page for details.

Follow Us

Browse by Category

  • Africa
  • Ahafo
  • Art & Entertainment
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Ashanti
  • Aviation
  • Banking & Finance
  • Bono East
  • Brong Ahafo
  • Business
  • Business
  • Central
  • Communication
  • Culture
  • Eastern
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entrepreneurship & Local Business
  • Exclude
  • Features
  • General
  • Ghana
  • Greater Accra
  • Health
  • Health
  • International
  • International Trade
  • Lifestyle
  • Lifestyle
  • Media
  • National
  • News
  • North East
  • Northern
  • Oil & Gas
  • Oti
  • Politics
  • Politics
  • Real Estate
  • Regional
  • Relationship
  • Relationship
  • Religion
  • Savannah
  • Social
  • Social
  • Sports
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Trade
  • Transportation
  • Uncategorized
  • Upper East
  • Upper West
  • Volta
  • Western

Recent News

GAF airlifts injured Ghanaian traders home after Burkina Faso attack

GAF airlifts injured Ghanaian traders home after Burkina Faso attack

February 18, 2026
Sam George: 7 August action will protect Ghanaians from DStv monopoly

Explicit video case: Gov’t confirms Russian identity, engages INTERPOL

February 18, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

About Us

© 2022- 2026 The Sikaman Times

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus

About Us

© 2022- 2026 The Sikaman Times

QUICK LINKS

About

Privacy Policy

Terms Of Use

Advertisement

Contact

FOCUS

Ghana

Africa

International

CATEGORIES

General News

Business

Opinions

Politics

Technology

EXTRAS

Sports

Entertainment

Health & Wellness

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook Twitter Youtube Instagram Linkedin

© COPYRIGHT 2022-2026
The Sikaman Times