• About
  • Advertisements
  • Terms of Use
  • Contact
Monday, August 17, 2026
The Sikaman Times
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus
No Result
View All Result
The Sikaman Times
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus
No Result
View All Result
The Sikaman Times
No Result
View All Result

NCA removes NGIC’s exclusive wholesale 5G rights to open market to competition

by The Sikaman Times
July 16, 2026
Director-General of the NCA, Rev. Ing. Edmund Yirenkyi Fianko

Director-General of the NCA, Rev. Ing. Edmund Yirenkyi Fianko

SharePostSendShareSend

The National Communications Authority (NCA) has amended the Wholesale Electronic Communications Infrastructure (Telecommunications) Licence of Next Gen Infraco Limited (NGIC), removing the provision that granted the company exclusive rights to operate Ghana’s wholesale fifth-generation (5G) telecommunications infrastructure.

The Authority, in a press statement issued on Wednesday, July 15, said the amendment was made in the public interest and takes effect immediately.

NGIC was previously granted sole rights to own and operate wholesale 5G infrastructure under a regulatory framework introduced to facilitate the rollout of a national wholesale 5G network.

According to the NCA, developments in the telecommunications sector have prompted a policy shift towards a more competitive wholesale 5G market.

The Authority said it had concluded that opening the market would better promote investment, innovation, network resilience, improved service quality and wider access to advanced communications services.

The NCA explained that its decision was made under Article 6.1.2 of NGIC’s licence and Section 14 of the Electronic Communications Act, 2008 (Act 775), which empower it to amend licence conditions where it is deemed to be in the public interest.

It said due process was followed before the amendment was approved. The Authority issued a Notice of Proposed Amendment to NGIC on March 2, 2026, held consultations with the company on March 18, and received a Statement of Objections from NGIC on April 1 under Section 14(4) of Act 775.

The company was subsequently given the opportunity to present oral submissions before the NCA Governing Board on May 28, 2026.

“After carefully considering NGIC’s written and oral representations, the Authority concluded that it was in the public interest to remove the exclusivity condition from the Licence,” the statement said.

The NCA clarified that the amendment affects only the exclusivity provision and does not alter the remainder of NGIC’s licence. The company will continue to retain all other rights and obligations under the licence, including its assigned spectrum.

The Authority expressed the expectation that the decision would encourage greater competition in Ghana’s wholesale 5G market, stimulate investment and innovation, and support the country’s broader digital transformation agenda.

Advertisement Advertisement
Tags: Featured
Share1Tweet1SendShareSend
Previous Post

Cabinet revokes E.I. 144, restores Achimota Forest Reserve to full protected status

Next Post

COCOBOD settles GH¢162m owed to non-DDEP Cocoa Bill holders

Related Posts

Fire at Akosombo substation disrupts power supply in parts of Ghana – GRIDCo
General

Sunday power outage: GRIDCo announces 14-hour interruption in parts of Greater Accra

August 15, 2026
Mid-year budget review: GH¢ 21billion cut in expenditure commendable – Oppong Nkrumah
General

Oppong Nkrumah takes Chief Justice to Supreme Court over vacation trials

August 14, 2026
IGP to religious leaders: Use your influence to protect Ghana’s peace
General

IGP to religious leaders: Use your influence to protect Ghana’s peace

August 14, 2026
AG defends suspension of Torkornoo after criticism from international legal bodies
General

Ayine: National Cathedral funds could have completed some Agenda 111 hospitals

August 14, 2026
Christian Council urges responsible prophecy after conflicting NPP flagbearer predictions
General

Christian Council condemns assault on pastor, urges restraint amid Christian-Muslim tensions

August 14, 2026
Lawyer Sylvester Isang declares intention to contest NPP parliamentary primaries in Nandom
Exclude

Lawyer Sylvester Isang declares intention to contest NPP parliamentary primaries in Nandom

August 14, 2026
Next Post
COCOBOD: Scholarship Scheme was cancelled due to Free SHS

COCOBOD settles GH¢162m owed to non-DDEP Cocoa Bill holders

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Producer Price Inflation declines to 23.1% in December 2024.

    Producer Price Inflation declines to 23.1% in December 2024.

    40 shares
    Share 16 Tweet 10
  • Menzgold: 60% of customers ineligible for payment after validation

    20 shares
    Share 8 Tweet 5
  • Police investigate journalist assault at EOCO during Wontumi arrest

    35 shares
    Share 14 Tweet 9
  • We’re not negotiating; we’re executing the court’s explicit order – Nduom

    12 shares
    Share 5 Tweet 3
  • EXPLAINER: Why predicted rainfall may not always materialise

    9 shares
    Share 4 Tweet 2

Browse by Category

  • Africa
  • Ahafo
  • Art & Entertainment
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Ashanti
  • Aviation
  • Banking & Finance
  • Bono East
  • Brong Ahafo
  • Business
  • Business
  • Central
  • Communication
  • Culture
  • Eastern
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entrepreneurship & Local Business
  • Exclude
  • Features
  • General
  • Ghana
  • Greater Accra
  • Health
  • Health
  • International
  • International Trade
  • Lifestyle
  • Lifestyle
  • Media
  • National
  • News
  • North East
  • Northern
  • Oil & Gas
  • Oti
  • Politics
  • Politics
  • Real Estate
  • Regional
  • Relationship
  • Relationship
  • Religion
  • Savannah
  • Social
  • Social
  • Sports
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Tourism & Hospitality
  • Trade
  • Transportation
  • Uncategorized
  • Upper East
  • Upper West
  • Volta
  • Western
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

About Us

© 2022- 2026 The Sikaman Times

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus

About Us

© 2022- 2026 The Sikaman Times

QUICK LINKS

About

Privacy Policy

Terms Of Use

Advertisement

Contact

FOCUS

Ghana

Africa

International

CATEGORIES

General News

Business

Opinions

Politics

Technology

EXTRAS

Sports

Entertainment

Health & Wellness

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook Twitter Youtube Instagram Linkedin

© COPYRIGHT 2022-2026
The Sikaman Times