• About
  • Advertisements
  • Terms of Use
  • Contact
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
The Sikaman Times
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus
No Result
View All Result
The Sikaman Times
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus
No Result
View All Result
The Sikaman Times
No Result
View All Result

Akandoh blasts Lightwave over $100m ‘failed’ health data project

by The Sikaman Times
October 29, 2025
Akandoh blasts Lightwave over $100m ‘failed’ health data project
SharePostSendShareSend

Minister of Health Kwabena Mintah Akandoh has accused technology contractor Lightwaves of underperforming in a $100 million government project to digitise health records across the country, saying the company connected less than half of the targeted facilities despite receiving more than 70% of the contract sum.

Speaking at the Government Accountability Series in Accra on Wednesday, Mr Akandoh said the government signed the deal with Lightwaves in 2019 to connect 950 health facilities under the Lightwave Health Information Management System (LHIMS). The contract, initially set to end in 2022, was extended twice to December 2024.

“Out of the 950 facilities, only 450 had been connected,” the minister said. “Clearly, nobody needs to tell you that the company underperformed.”

He revealed that although less than half of the project was completed, Lightwaves had already been paid about $77 million. An audit by the Ministry of Health, he added, found “gaps in the supply of hardware” with cheaper or fewer computers delivered than specified. The estimated value of missing or substandard equipment stood at $18 million.

Mr Akandoh criticised the company for retaining control over Ghana’s electronic medical data through cloud servers hosted in India. “It is unconscionable for any individual or company to have access to the electronic medical records of Ghanaians without the state taking control,” he said.

According to the minister, the company resisted government requests to hand over administrative access to the system and even shut down parts of it “as and when they desired”.

“If this is not blackmail, I don’t know what it is,” Mr Akandoh said, adding that the matter had been referred to the Attorney-General and security agencies for advice and possible action.

He said the government’s priority was to restore functionality and ensure data sovereignty, stressing, “The medical records of Ghanaians will never go back to our old way. We are moving forward responsibly, confidently and decisively.”

*****
Never miss out on the news. Get your valuable breaking news and other vital content by following The Sikaman Times on WhatsApp Channel

*****

Advertisement Advertisement
Tags: FeaturedKwabena Mintah Akandoh
ShareTweetSendShareSend
Previous Post

OSP summons DVLA CEO over GH¢4m bribery allegation

Next Post

Gov’t targets health data restoration in 4 weeks under new GHIMS

Related Posts

Project Finance: Ghana’s Untapped Key to Infrastructure Development [ARTICLE]
Business

Project Finance: Ghana’s Untapped Key to Infrastructure Development [ARTICLE]

February 17, 2026
U.S. Embassy opens 1,000+ visa interview slots for next week
General

U.S. Embassy opens 1,000+ visa interview slots for next week

February 17, 2026
‘Competition, not controls’: ILEE boss proposes supply-side fix to high prices
Business

‘Competition, not controls’: ILEE boss proposes supply-side fix to high prices

February 17, 2026
COCOBOD dismisses reports of producer price announcement
Business

COCOBOD announces salary cuts for top executives

February 17, 2026
Improving economic indicators do not equal structural reform – Policy Expert
Business

Improving economic indicators do not equal structural reform – Policy Expert

February 17, 2026
Seven Ghanaian traders killed in Burkina Faso militant attack
Africa

Seven Ghanaian traders killed in Burkina Faso militant attack

February 16, 2026
Next Post
Akandoh blasts Lightwave over $100m ‘failed’ health data project

Gov’t targets health data restoration in 4 weeks under new GHIMS

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • U.S. Embassy opens 1,000+ visa interview slots for next week

    U.S. Embassy opens 1,000+ visa interview slots for next week

    2 shares
    Share 1 Tweet 1
  • Enterprise Insurance, MoMAG renew MOU to spur financial inclusion and insurance access

    11 shares
    Share 4 Tweet 3
  • Ramadan 2026 to begin February 18, National Chief Imam’s office announces

    4 shares
    Share 2 Tweet 1
  • ‘Competition, not controls’: ILEE boss proposes supply-side fix to high prices

    1 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • InovTech STEM Center students take center stage at launch of Ghana’s first robotic dining experience

    2 shares
    Share 1 Tweet 1
The Sikaman Times

We bring you the best Premium WordPress Themes that perfect for news, magazine, personal blog, etc. Check our landing page for details.

Follow Us

Browse by Category

  • Africa
  • Ahafo
  • Art & Entertainment
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Ashanti
  • Aviation
  • Banking & Finance
  • Bono East
  • Brong Ahafo
  • Business
  • Business
  • Central
  • Communication
  • Culture
  • Eastern
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entrepreneurship & Local Business
  • Exclude
  • Features
  • General
  • Ghana
  • Greater Accra
  • Health
  • Health
  • International
  • International Trade
  • Lifestyle
  • Lifestyle
  • Media
  • National
  • News
  • North East
  • Northern
  • Oil & Gas
  • Oti
  • Politics
  • Politics
  • Real Estate
  • Regional
  • Relationship
  • Relationship
  • Religion
  • Savannah
  • Social
  • Social
  • Sports
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Trade
  • Transportation
  • Uncategorized
  • Upper East
  • Upper West
  • Volta
  • Western

Recent News

Project Finance: Ghana’s Untapped Key to Infrastructure Development [ARTICLE]

Project Finance: Ghana’s Untapped Key to Infrastructure Development [ARTICLE]

February 17, 2026
U.S. Embassy opens 1,000+ visa interview slots for next week

U.S. Embassy opens 1,000+ visa interview slots for next week

February 17, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

About Us

© 2022- 2026 The Sikaman Times

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus

About Us

© 2022- 2026 The Sikaman Times

QUICK LINKS

About

Privacy Policy

Terms Of Use

Advertisement

Contact

FOCUS

Ghana

Africa

International

CATEGORIES

General News

Business

Opinions

Politics

Technology

EXTRAS

Sports

Entertainment

Health & Wellness

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook Twitter Youtube Instagram Linkedin

© COPYRIGHT 2022-2026
The Sikaman Times