• About
  • Advertisements
  • Terms of Use
  • Contact
Monday, February 16, 2026
The Sikaman Times
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus
No Result
View All Result
The Sikaman Times
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus
No Result
View All Result
The Sikaman Times
No Result
View All Result

Senegal’s Macky Sall postpones presidential poll over integrity concerns

by The Sikaman Times
February 5, 2024
Senegal’s Macky Sall postpones presidential poll over integrity concerns
SharePostSendShareSend

Senegalese President Macky Sall postponed the presidential elections due later this month in a decree announced on Saturday, citing controversies over the disqualification of some candidates and allegations of corruption in election-related cases.

Sall said he signed a decree repealing the law that convened the electoral body just as campaigning was set to begin for the Feb. 25 election in one of West Africa’s most stable democracies.

“For my part, my solemn commitment not to run in the presidential election remains unchanged; finally, I will engage in an open national dialogue to bring together the conditions for a free, transparent, and inclusive election,” the Senegalese leader said, without announcing a new date for the vote.

The decision comes just hours before the start of the election campaign and follows the establishment of a parliamentary commission investigating the integrity of two judges from the Constitutional Council.

President Sall revealed that he had revoked his earlier decree, which set the election for February 25, after concerns were raised about the integrity of the electoral process. This unprecedented move in Senegal marks the first direct universal suffrage presidential election delay since 1963.

In his address, President Sall expressed his commitment to initiating an open national dialogue to ensure conditions for a free, transparent, and inclusive election, although he did not specify a new date.

Initially elected in 2012 for a seven-year term and re-elected in 2019 for five years, President Sall had earlier declared that he would not seek another term, designating Prime Minister Amadou Ba as his successor.

The Constitutional Council had excluded several candidates from the election, including opposition figures Ousmane Sonko and Karim Wade, sparking controversy.

The political landscape in Senegal is now in flux, with the postponement raising questions about the country’s electoral process and the challenges faced by the opposition candidates who were disqualified.

 

Source: Africa News

*****
Never miss out on the news. Get your valuable breaking news and other vital content by following The Sikaman Times on WhatsApp Channel Here

*****

Advertisement Advertisement
Tags: Macky Sall
Share1Tweet1SendShareSend
Previous Post

COCOBOD explains viral letter on cocoa beans importation

Next Post

ACI Ghana weekly money market update – February 5, 2024

Related Posts

“We have more that binds us together” – Bawumia urges healing, unity at NPP thanksgiving service
General

“We have more that binds us together” – Bawumia urges healing, unity at NPP thanksgiving service

February 15, 2026
NDC rules out rerun, retains Baba Jamal for Ayawaso East
General

NDC rules out rerun, retains Baba Jamal for Ayawaso East

February 11, 2026
OccupyGhana urges tough new law to punish intra-party vote buyers
General

OccupyGhana urges tough new law to punish intra-party vote buyers

February 10, 2026
Fiifi Boafo: 2023/24 cocoa syndication loan repaid, default claims are false
General

Fiifi Boafo: 2023/24 cocoa syndication loan repaid, default claims are false

February 10, 2026
NPP acclaims Baba Ali Yussif as Ayawaso East parliamentary candidate
General

NPP acclaims Baba Ali Yussif as Ayawaso East parliamentary candidate

February 9, 2026
OSP: SML case reveals deep procurement lapses as Agyebeng faults institutional oversight
General

OSP opens probe into vote-buying allegations in NPP, NDC primaries

February 8, 2026
Next Post
ACI Ghana weekly money market update – February 5, 2024

ACI Ghana weekly money market update – February 5, 2024

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Gender Ministry engages police, international partners over viral sex abuse videos

    Gender Ministry engages police, international partners over viral sex abuse videos

    1 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Enterprise Insurance, MoMAG renew MOU to spur financial inclusion and insurance access

    9 shares
    Share 4 Tweet 2
  • Veteran journalist, Radio Univers icon Dr. Abubakari Sidick Ahmed dies at 63

    1 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NCA tightens service standards for telcos, reduces call drop rate to below 1%

    1 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • SEC flags “Mekanism” as illegal and fraudulent investment scheme

    1 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
The Sikaman Times

We bring you the best Premium WordPress Themes that perfect for news, magazine, personal blog, etc. Check our landing page for details.

Follow Us

Browse by Category

  • Africa
  • Ahafo
  • Art & Entertainment
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Ashanti
  • Aviation
  • Banking & Finance
  • Bono East
  • Brong Ahafo
  • Business
  • Business
  • Central
  • Communication
  • Culture
  • Eastern
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entrepreneurship & Local Business
  • Exclude
  • Features
  • General
  • Ghana
  • Greater Accra
  • Health
  • Health
  • International
  • International Trade
  • Lifestyle
  • Lifestyle
  • Media
  • National
  • News
  • North East
  • Northern
  • Oil & Gas
  • Oti
  • Politics
  • Politics
  • Real Estate
  • Regional
  • Relationship
  • Relationship
  • Religion
  • Savannah
  • Social
  • Social
  • Sports
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Trade
  • Transportation
  • Uncategorized
  • Upper East
  • Upper West
  • Volta
  • Western

Recent News

Russian Embassy: We have “taken note” of viral explicit videos

Russian Embassy: We have “taken note” of viral explicit videos

February 16, 2026
InovTech STEM Center students take center stage at launch of Ghana’s first robotic dining experience

InovTech STEM Center students take center stage at launch of Ghana’s first robotic dining experience

February 16, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

About Us

© 2022- 2026 The Sikaman Times

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus

About Us

© 2022- 2026 The Sikaman Times

QUICK LINKS

About

Privacy Policy

Terms Of Use

Advertisement

Contact

FOCUS

Ghana

Africa

International

CATEGORIES

General News

Business

Opinions

Politics

Technology

EXTRAS

Sports

Entertainment

Health & Wellness

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook Twitter Youtube Instagram Linkedin

© COPYRIGHT 2022-2026
The Sikaman Times