• About
  • Advertisements
  • Terms of Use
  • Contact
Saturday, August 22, 2026
The Sikaman Times
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus
No Result
View All Result
The Sikaman Times
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus
No Result
View All Result
The Sikaman Times
No Result
View All Result

Abu Trica extradition case adjourned as State admits no evidence against two accused

by The Sikaman Times
January 13, 2026
Abu Trica extradition case adjourned as State admits no evidence against two accused
SharePostSendShareSend

The Gbese District Court in Accra has adjourned its ruling in the extradition proceedings involving Frederick Kumi, popularly known as Abu Trica, after the State disclosed that it had no evidence against two of the accused persons, even as the court declined to discharge them.

The two accused persons, Lord Eshun and Bernard Aidoo, were arraigned as alleged accessories under an extradition charge sheet filed on December 12, 2025. However, the State told the court that investigations had been concluded and there was no basis to continue proceedings against them.

In court, Derick Ackah Nyameke, representing the Attorney-General’s Department, said the two had been arraigned under Section 6 of the Extradition Act, 1960 (Act 22) as accessories to the principal suspect, but the Republic required time to “put its house in order”.

When the court sought clarification on the basis for the withdrawal, the prosecution maintained that the arraignment formed part of committal proceedings pending the receipt of formal diplomatic extradition requests.

Counsel for Abu Trica, Oliver Barker Vormawor, argued that the withdrawal of charges against the alleged conspirators rendered the case against his client legally untenable.

“One person cannot be found guilty of an alleged conspiracy because the alleged conspirators are no longer before the court,” he said, adding that under Ghanaian law, “where alleged conspirators have been identified but have been discharged, it is legally impossible to proceed against the remaining accused person”.

He further contended that the charge sheet filed on December 12, 2025, did not indicate that there were any unidentified conspirators at large, insisting that “the charge against Abu Trica fails in its entirety”.

Responding, Mr Nyameke opposed the application for discharge, arguing that Abu Trica had not been arraigned for trial in Ghana but for extradition-related committal proceedings.

He explained that under Act 22 and the 1931 extradition treaty, a fugitive could be provisionally arrested and brought before a district court pending the completion of extradition processes.

“The objection raised by defence counsel is premature,” he said, adding that there was also a pending motion on notice to stay the extradition proceedings, which had been served on the defence earlier in the day.

The court, presided over by Justice Bernice Ackon, declined to discharge any of the accused persons and adjourned the case to February 7, 2026, for ruling.

Addressing the media after the proceedings, counsel for the accused, Aggrey-Finn Amissah, criticised the court’s decision not to discharge the two accused persons despite the State’s position.

“Prosecution is at the discretion of the state. The court should not have any interest… yet the judge decided not to discharge the two persons the state itself says there is no evidence against,” he said.

He added that the defence had since filed a bail application at the High Court, which is expected to be heard on January 20, 2026.

 

Source: Graphic Online [www.graphic.com.gh]

Advertisement Advertisement
Tags: Featured
Share1Tweet1SendShareSend
Previous Post

IPPs: Arrears clearance will boost energy sector stability

Next Post

JUSAG threatens strike over unpaid salary arrears

Related Posts

Mahama nominates three to Supreme Court, bench set to increase to 21
General

Supreme Court rejects Oppong Nkrumah bid to halt legal-vacation trials

August 21, 2026
Cocoa Marketing Company to introduce 24-hour programme to boost cocoa export efficiency
Business

Cocoa Marketing Company to introduce 24-hour programme to boost cocoa export efficiency

August 21, 2026
Mineworkers demand immediate release of over GH¢380m in locked-up funds
Business

Mineworkers demand immediate release of over GH¢380m in locked-up funds

August 20, 2026
Domestic Gold Purchase Programmes’s US$1.7bn loss and matters arising – Bright Kodua writes
Business

Domestic Gold Purchase Programmes’s US$1.7bn loss and matters arising – Bright Kodua writes

August 20, 2026
Oppong Nkrumah demands parliamentary briefing on IMF’s PCI programme
General

Supreme Court to rule on Oppong Nkrumah’s bid to halt legal vacation trials Friday

August 20, 2026
GES investigates alleged sexual assault of student at Bolgatanga Girls SHS
Education

GES investigates alleged sexual assault of student at Bolgatanga Girls SHS

August 20, 2026
Next Post
University Administrators declare strike over conditions of service

JUSAG threatens strike over unpaid salary arrears

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Cocoa Marketing Company to introduce 24-hour programme to boost cocoa export efficiency

    Cocoa Marketing Company to introduce 24-hour programme to boost cocoa export efficiency

    2 shares
    Share 1 Tweet 1
  • Police investigate journalist assault at EOCO during Wontumi arrest

    41 shares
    Share 16 Tweet 10
  • EXPLAINER: Why predicted rainfall may not always materialise

    14 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Menzgold: 60% of customers ineligible for payment after validation

    28 shares
    Share 11 Tweet 7
  • We’re not negotiating; we’re executing the court’s explicit order – Nduom

    18 shares
    Share 7 Tweet 5

Browse by Category

  • Africa
  • Ahafo
  • Art & Entertainment
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Ashanti
  • Aviation
  • Banking & Finance
  • Bono East
  • Brong Ahafo
  • Business
  • Business
  • Central
  • Communication
  • Culture
  • Eastern
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entrepreneurship & Local Business
  • Exclude
  • Features
  • General
  • Ghana
  • Greater Accra
  • Health
  • Health
  • International
  • International Trade
  • Lifestyle
  • Lifestyle
  • Media
  • National
  • News
  • North East
  • Northern
  • Oil & Gas
  • Oti
  • Politics
  • Politics
  • Real Estate
  • Regional
  • Relationship
  • Relationship
  • Religion
  • Savannah
  • Social
  • Social
  • Sports
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Tourism & Hospitality
  • Trade
  • Transportation
  • Uncategorized
  • Upper East
  • Upper West
  • Volta
  • Western
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

About Us

© 2022- 2026 The Sikaman Times

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus

About Us

© 2022- 2026 The Sikaman Times

QUICK LINKS

About

Privacy Policy

Terms Of Use

Advertisement

Contact

FOCUS

Ghana

Africa

International

CATEGORIES

General News

Business

Opinions

Politics

Technology

EXTRAS

Sports

Entertainment

Health & Wellness

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook Twitter Youtube Instagram Linkedin

© COPYRIGHT 2022-2026
The Sikaman Times