• About
  • Advertisements
  • Terms of Use
  • Contact
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
The Sikaman Times
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus
No Result
View All Result
The Sikaman Times
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus
No Result
View All Result
The Sikaman Times
No Result
View All Result

Gabon soldiers say Bongo ‘regime’ ended, borders closed

by The Sikaman Times
August 30, 2023
Gabon soldiers say Bongo ‘regime’ ended, borders closed
SharePostSendShareSend

A group of Gabonese military officers appeared on television Wednesday, announcing they were “putting an end to the current regime” and cancelling an election that, according to official results, President Ali Bongo Ondimba won.

During the announcement, AFP journalists heard gunfire ring out in the Gabonese capital, Libreville.

While announcing the cancellation of the vote results, one of the officers said “all the institutions of the republic” had been dissolved.

The address was read by an officer flanked by a group of a dozen army colonels, members of the elite Republican Guard, regular soldiers, and others.

It came moments after the national election authority said Bongo had won a third term in Saturday’s election with 64.27 percent of the vote.

Bongo has been in power for 14 years in the oil-rich West African country.

“Today, the country is going through a serious institutional, political, economic, and social crisis,” the officer said on TV channel Gabon 24.

He said the recent election “did not meet the conditions for a transparent, credible, and inclusive ballot so much hoped for by the people of Gabon.”

“We have decided to defend peace by putting an end to the current regime,” the officer said, adding that he was speaking on behalf of the “Committee for the Transition and Restoration of Institutions”.

The statement was also broadcast on Gabon 1 public television.

“To this end, the general elections of 26 August 2023 and the truncated results are cancelled,” he added.

‘Fraud’ accusation

“All the institutions of the republic are dissolved: the government, the Senate, the National Assembly, and the Constitutional Court,” he added, announcing the closure of the country’s borders “until further notice”.

According to the results issued prior to the officers’ announcement, Bongo’s main rival, Albert Ondo Ossa, won just 30.77 percent of the vote.

Before polls closed on Saturday, Ondo Ossa had accused Bongo of “fraud” while claiming he was the rightful winner.

While the election was under way, Bongo’s government imposed a curfew and a nationwide internet shutdown to prevent the spread of “false news” and possible violence.

On Monday, Ondo Ossa’s campaign manager, Mike Jocktane, called on Bongo to hand over power “without bloodshed”, insisting a partial count had Ondo Ossa clearly ahead without providing any proof.

Gabonese law forbids any publication of partial results pending the final result, which only the Gabonese Elections Centre, the body that organises the polls, is legally allowed to publish.

Situation remains unclear

The situation in the capital wasn’t immediately clear, and there was no word from the president.

The mutinous officers vowed to respect “Gabon’s commitments to the national and international community.”

China calls for the safety of Gabon’s President Bongo to be guaranteed.

French Prime Minister Elisabeth Borne said Wednesday: “We are following the situation in Gabon closely.”

Gabon is a member of the OPEC oil cartel, with a production of some 181,000 barrels of crude a day, making it the eighth-largest producer of oil in sub-Saharan Africa. It is home to over 2 million people.

 

Source: Africa News

Advertisement Advertisement
Tags: Ali Bongo OndimbaFeaturedGabon
ShareTweetSendShareSend
Previous Post

NPP National Council to decide tie between Agyarko and Addai-Nimoh

Next Post

Dollar-denominated DDEP ends with 92% participation rate – Govt

Related Posts

Seven Ghanaian traders killed in Burkina Faso militant attack
Africa

Seven Ghanaian traders killed in Burkina Faso militant attack

February 16, 2026
“We have more that binds us together” – Bawumia urges healing, unity at NPP thanksgiving service
General

“We have more that binds us together” – Bawumia urges healing, unity at NPP thanksgiving service

February 15, 2026
NDC rules out rerun, retains Baba Jamal for Ayawaso East
General

NDC rules out rerun, retains Baba Jamal for Ayawaso East

February 11, 2026
OccupyGhana urges tough new law to punish intra-party vote buyers
General

OccupyGhana urges tough new law to punish intra-party vote buyers

February 10, 2026
Fiifi Boafo: 2023/24 cocoa syndication loan repaid, default claims are false
General

Fiifi Boafo: 2023/24 cocoa syndication loan repaid, default claims are false

February 10, 2026
NPP acclaims Baba Ali Yussif as Ayawaso East parliamentary candidate
General

NPP acclaims Baba Ali Yussif as Ayawaso East parliamentary candidate

February 9, 2026
Next Post
Government to boost private sector participation with Mutual Prosperity Dialogue

Dollar-denominated DDEP ends with 92% participation rate - Govt

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • U.S. Embassy opens 1,000+ visa interview slots for next week

    U.S. Embassy opens 1,000+ visa interview slots for next week

    2 shares
    Share 1 Tweet 1
  • Enterprise Insurance, MoMAG renew MOU to spur financial inclusion and insurance access

    11 shares
    Share 4 Tweet 3
  • Ramadan 2026 to begin February 18, National Chief Imam’s office announces

    4 shares
    Share 2 Tweet 1
  • Project Finance: Ghana’s Untapped Key to Infrastructure Development [ARTICLE]

    1 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • ‘Competition, not controls’: ILEE boss proposes supply-side fix to high prices

    1 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
The Sikaman Times

We bring you the best Premium WordPress Themes that perfect for news, magazine, personal blog, etc. Check our landing page for details.

Follow Us

Browse by Category

  • Africa
  • Ahafo
  • Art & Entertainment
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Ashanti
  • Aviation
  • Banking & Finance
  • Bono East
  • Brong Ahafo
  • Business
  • Business
  • Central
  • Communication
  • Culture
  • Eastern
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entrepreneurship & Local Business
  • Exclude
  • Features
  • General
  • Ghana
  • Greater Accra
  • Health
  • Health
  • International
  • International Trade
  • Lifestyle
  • Lifestyle
  • Media
  • National
  • News
  • North East
  • Northern
  • Oil & Gas
  • Oti
  • Politics
  • Politics
  • Real Estate
  • Regional
  • Relationship
  • Relationship
  • Religion
  • Savannah
  • Social
  • Social
  • Sports
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Trade
  • Transportation
  • Uncategorized
  • Upper East
  • Upper West
  • Volta
  • Western

Recent News

Dr. Cassiel Ato Forson

Government settles GH¢10bn DDEP interest

February 18, 2026
Project Finance: Ghana’s Untapped Key to Infrastructure Development [ARTICLE]

Project Finance: Ghana’s Untapped Key to Infrastructure Development [ARTICLE]

February 17, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

About Us

© 2022- 2026 The Sikaman Times

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus

About Us

© 2022- 2026 The Sikaman Times

QUICK LINKS

About

Privacy Policy

Terms Of Use

Advertisement

Contact

FOCUS

Ghana

Africa

International

CATEGORIES

General News

Business

Opinions

Politics

Technology

EXTRAS

Sports

Entertainment

Health & Wellness

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook Twitter Youtube Instagram Linkedin

© COPYRIGHT 2022-2026
The Sikaman Times