• About
  • Advertisements
  • Terms of Use
  • Contact
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
The Sikaman Times
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus
No Result
View All Result
The Sikaman Times
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus
No Result
View All Result
The Sikaman Times
No Result
View All Result

Gov’t moves to extradite Ofori-Atta, former aide from US – Attorney-General

by The Sikaman Times
December 18, 2025
Gov’t moves to extradite Ofori-Atta, former aide from US –  Attorney-General
SharePostSendShareSend

The government has formally asked authorities in the United States to extradite former Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta and his former Chief of Staff, Ernest Darko Akore, to face corruption-related charges filed by the Office of the Special Prosecutor (OSP).

The Attorney-General and Minister for Justice, Dr. Dominic Ayine, disclosed this on Thursday, December 18, 2025, during the Government Accountability Series. He said the request was sent after his office completed all legal and procedural checks.

“This step was taken after my office received the necessary documentation and clarifications from the Office of the Special Prosecutor,” Dr. Ayine said, confirming that the extradition request had been formally transmitted to U.S. authorities.

According to him, the two former officials are expected to answer to 78 corruption and corruption-related charges already filed by the OSP. He explained that once the request was sent, the process moved beyond Ghana’s control.

“It is now in the hands of the U.S. judicial authorities to ascertain whether the threshold for extradition has been met,” he said.

Dr. Ayine said his office received a formal request from the OSP on November 19, 2025, asking for extradition proceedings to begin against Mr. Ofori-Atta and Mr. Akore, who are both believed to be in the United States. A review by the Attorney-General’s International Cooperation Unit later identified gaps in the documents submitted.

“As a result, we communicated our observations to the Office of the Special Prosecutor in a letter dated November 25 and requested additional documentation to ensure completeness,” he said.

He noted that the OSP responded on December 9, 2025, providing the required documents. The completed extradition package was then forwarded through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to the United States Department of Justice.

“At this point, it is left to the authorities of the United States, particularly the judicial authorities, to determine whether there is sufficient basis for the two accused persons to be extradited to Ghana to stand trial,” Dr. Ayine added.

The extradition request follows criminal charges filed by the OSP on November 18 against Mr. Ofori-Atta and seven others, including Mr. Akore, over alleged financial irregularities linked to Strategic Mobilisation Limited (SML).

Advertisement Advertisement
Tags: Attorney GeneralFeaturedKen Ofori-AttaStrategic Mobilization Ghana Limited
Share1Tweet1SendShareSend
Previous Post

First Atlantic Bank to list on Ghana Stock Exchange following oversubscribed IPO

Next Post

Parliament passes Sports Development Fund Bill

Related Posts

New VAT regime takes hold as GRA implements Act 1151
Business

GRA to introduce pension-linked tax system for informal sector businesses

August 19, 2026
Gender, policy and fiscal reforms take center stage at 4th SWIT conference in Accra
Business

Gender, policy and fiscal reforms take center stage at 4th SWIT conference in Accra

August 19, 2026
Wontumi’s bail bid put off to October 15 as judge stays away
General

Wontumi’s bail bid put off to October 15 as judge stays away

August 19, 2026
Dr. Johnson P Asiama-2
Banking & Finance

BoG tightens monetary policy framework with new voting, FX and inflation tools

August 19, 2026
2026 Budget: COVID-19 levy repealed, VAT threshold raised
General

Government pays GH¢10.8bn DDEP coupon in full

August 19, 2026
Over 50 NPP constituency chairpersons pick nomination forms for Boakye Agyarko
General

Over 50 NPP constituency chairpersons pick nomination forms for Boakye Agyarko

August 19, 2026
Next Post
Parliament passes Sports Development Fund Bill

Parliament passes Sports Development Fund Bill

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • We’re not negotiating; we’re executing the court’s explicit order – Nduom

    We’re not negotiating; we’re executing the court’s explicit order – Nduom

    14 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Menzgold: 60% of customers ineligible for payment after validation

    25 shares
    Share 10 Tweet 6
  • Government pays GH¢10.8bn DDEP coupon in full

    2 shares
    Share 1 Tweet 1
  • Police investigate journalist assault at EOCO during Wontumi arrest

    38 shares
    Share 15 Tweet 10
  • Wontumi’s bail bid put off to October 15 as judge stays away

    1 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Browse by Category

  • Africa
  • Ahafo
  • Art & Entertainment
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Ashanti
  • Aviation
  • Banking & Finance
  • Bono East
  • Brong Ahafo
  • Business
  • Business
  • Central
  • Communication
  • Culture
  • Eastern
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entrepreneurship & Local Business
  • Exclude
  • Features
  • General
  • Ghana
  • Greater Accra
  • Health
  • Health
  • International
  • International Trade
  • Lifestyle
  • Lifestyle
  • Media
  • National
  • News
  • North East
  • Northern
  • Oil & Gas
  • Oti
  • Politics
  • Politics
  • Real Estate
  • Regional
  • Relationship
  • Relationship
  • Religion
  • Savannah
  • Social
  • Social
  • Sports
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Tourism & Hospitality
  • Trade
  • Transportation
  • Uncategorized
  • Upper East
  • Upper West
  • Volta
  • Western
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

About Us

© 2022- 2026 The Sikaman Times

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus

About Us

© 2022- 2026 The Sikaman Times

QUICK LINKS

About

Privacy Policy

Terms Of Use

Advertisement

Contact

FOCUS

Ghana

Africa

International

CATEGORIES

General News

Business

Opinions

Politics

Technology

EXTRAS

Sports

Entertainment

Health & Wellness

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook Twitter Youtube Instagram Linkedin

© COPYRIGHT 2022-2026
The Sikaman Times