• About
  • Advertisements
  • Terms of Use
  • Contact
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
The Sikaman Times
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus
No Result
View All Result
The Sikaman Times
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus
No Result
View All Result
The Sikaman Times
No Result
View All Result

Pass a law that prohibits mining in forest reserves – Anti-galamsey groups urge Parliament

by The Sikaman Times
November 17, 2023
Pass a law that prohibits mining in forest reserves – Anti-galamsey groups urge Parliament
SharePostSendShareSend

The Media Coalition Against Galamsey and OccupyGhana has added its voice to reports of a company expressing interest in mining within the Kakum Forest Reserve in the Central Region.

Although the Minerals Commission indicated in a statement that it had rejected the application from the company, the groups raised concerns over the Commission’s inability to disclose the type of application and whether other applications had been made to other related agencies.

“We have noted the Minerals Commission’s undated letter, which said that indeed they had received such an application but had rejected it. That press release did not state whether the application was for a reconnaissance or prospecting licence or mining lease, or whether this High Street Company had acquired other permits from either the Forestry Commission or the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA),” the Media Coalition Against Galamsey and OccupyGhana said in a joint statement on Friday, November 11, 2023.

The groups expressed dissatisfaction with the statement from the Minerals Commission because, according to them, other companies have carried out our mining operations in forest reserves with permits purportedly from either the Forestry Commission or the EPA.

Accordingly, they called for a law by parliament to totally ban mining in forest reserves, regardless of a permit issued by any government agency.

“We believe that Ghana needs a simple legislative fiat that says, ‘WE DO NOT MINE OR DRILL IN OUR FOREST RESERVES.’ We therefore invite Parliament, as a matter of urgency, to pass an Act that forbids the grant of any mining or drilling permit, licence, or lease or any other associated activities in all forest reserves and significant biodiversity areas.”

This move, the groups observed, would revoke the present Environmental Protection (Mining in Forest Reserves) Regulations (LI 2462).

The Media Coalition Against Galamsey and OccupyGhana also advised that “any decision on the cessation of forest reserves should be first on the advice of the Forestry Commission and Lands Commission, and second with the approval of Parliament after a public hearing and engagement with chiefs and people of the area in question.”

According to them, this will serve as a check on the exercise of any discretionary decisions in relation to the cessation of forest reserves by the Executive.

Advertisement Advertisement
Tags: FeaturedGalamsey
Share1Tweet1SendShareSend
Previous Post

Giving “Second” a Second Chance

Next Post

Menzgold Saga: State files fresh charges against NAM 1

Related Posts

New VAT regime takes hold as GRA implements Act 1151
Business

GRA to introduce pension-linked tax system for informal sector businesses

August 19, 2026
Gender, policy and fiscal reforms take center stage at 4th SWIT conference in Accra
Business

Gender, policy and fiscal reforms take center stage at 4th SWIT conference in Accra

August 19, 2026
Sammy Gyamfi challenges Afenyo-Markin to produce evidence of $1.7bn loss
Business

Sammy Gyamfi dares Minority to summon him to Parliament over loss claims

August 19, 2026
Sammy Gyamfi: Outrage as Ag. GOLDBOD CEO apologises for dollar handout to controversial evangelist
Business

GoldBod fees too small to explain $1.7bn loss – Sammy Gyamfi

August 19, 2026
Sammy Gyamfi challenges Afenyo-Markin to produce evidence of $1.7bn loss
Business

Sammy Gyamfi challenges Afenyo-Markin to produce evidence of $1.7bn loss

August 19, 2026
Wontumi’s bail bid put off to October 15 as judge stays away
General

Wontumi’s bail bid put off to October 15 as judge stays away

August 19, 2026
Next Post
Police lodge GHC 2.5m NAM 1 cash at BOG

Menzgold Saga: State files fresh charges against NAM 1

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Menzgold: 60% of customers ineligible for payment after validation

    Menzgold: 60% of customers ineligible for payment after validation

    25 shares
    Share 10 Tweet 6
  • We’re not negotiating; we’re executing the court’s explicit order – Nduom

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Government pays GH¢10.8bn DDEP coupon in full

    2 shares
    Share 1 Tweet 1
  • Police investigate journalist assault at EOCO during Wontumi arrest

    38 shares
    Share 15 Tweet 10
  • GRA eyes GH¢310 billion revenue by 2028 through informal sector reform

    2 shares
    Share 1 Tweet 1

Browse by Category

  • Africa
  • Ahafo
  • Art & Entertainment
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Ashanti
  • Aviation
  • Banking & Finance
  • Bono East
  • Brong Ahafo
  • Business
  • Business
  • Central
  • Communication
  • Culture
  • Eastern
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entrepreneurship & Local Business
  • Exclude
  • Features
  • General
  • Ghana
  • Greater Accra
  • Health
  • Health
  • International
  • International Trade
  • Lifestyle
  • Lifestyle
  • Media
  • National
  • News
  • North East
  • Northern
  • Oil & Gas
  • Oti
  • Politics
  • Politics
  • Real Estate
  • Regional
  • Relationship
  • Relationship
  • Religion
  • Savannah
  • Social
  • Social
  • Sports
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Tourism & Hospitality
  • Trade
  • Transportation
  • Uncategorized
  • Upper East
  • Upper West
  • Volta
  • Western
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

About Us

© 2022- 2026 The Sikaman Times

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus

About Us

© 2022- 2026 The Sikaman Times

QUICK LINKS

About

Privacy Policy

Terms Of Use

Advertisement

Contact

FOCUS

Ghana

Africa

International

CATEGORIES

General News

Business

Opinions

Politics

Technology

EXTRAS

Sports

Entertainment

Health & Wellness

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook Twitter Youtube Instagram Linkedin

© COPYRIGHT 2022-2026
The Sikaman Times