• About
  • Advertisements
  • Terms of Use
  • Contact
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
The Sikaman Times
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus
No Result
View All Result
The Sikaman Times
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus
No Result
View All Result
The Sikaman Times
No Result
View All Result

Refrain from presenting an anti-LGBTQ bill to us amid court applications – Presidency tells Parliament

by The Sikaman Times
March 19, 2024
Refrain from presenting an anti-LGBTQ bill to us amid court applications – Presidency tells Parliament
SharePostSendShareSend

The Office of the President has told Parliament to hold off on presenting President Nana Akufo-Addo with the anti-gay bill for his approval.

In a statement signed by the Executive Secretary to the President, Nana Asante Bediatuo, the President’s directive stems from the acknowledgment of two pending applications for an order of interlocutory injunction before the Supreme Court.

The applications, among other demands, seek to prevent Parliament from sending the bill to the President and to restrain the President from signifying his assent to the bill, pending the final determination of the matter, the statement revealed.

The Presidency disclosed that the Attorney-General had informed the President via a letter dated March 18, 2024, that he had been duly served with both applications.

“It is the understanding of this office that both applications have also been duly served on Parliament. Therefore, it would be improper for you to transmit the bill to the President and equally improper for this office to receive the bill until the Supreme Court determines the matters raised in the suits,” the statement said.

“In the circumstances, you are kindly requested to cease and desist from transmitting the bill to the President until the matters before the Supreme Court are resolved,” it added.

At a meeting with some members of the diplomatic corps, President Akufo-Addo stated that the country would continue to uphold the rule on the affirmation or otherwise of the Proper Sexual Rights and Family Values Bill, adding that he has been briefed that an action has been taken against Parliament’s passage of the bill in the Supreme Court.

He urged all to await the verdict of the apex court to determine the next line of action.

The president has been under pressure from the majority of Ghanaians and other religious groups to assent to the anti-LGBTQ bill, despite opposition from some civil society groups.

Earlier this month, the Ministry of Finance, in a statement, asked the President to act cautiously on the approval of the bill, warning against retaliations from development partners.

*****
Never miss out on the news. Get your valuable breaking news and other vital content by following The Sikaman Times on WhatsApp Channel

*****

Advertisement Advertisement
Tags: FeaturedNana Akufo-AddoProper Sexual Rights and Family Values Bill
Share1Tweet1SendShareSend
Previous Post

Govt to licence satellite firms including Starlink soon – Ursula Owusu

Next Post

NCA and Telcos agree to supply more data to financial, utility service providers

Related Posts

New VAT regime takes hold as GRA implements Act 1151
Business

GRA to introduce pension-linked tax system for informal sector businesses

August 19, 2026
Gender, policy and fiscal reforms take center stage at 4th SWIT conference in Accra
Business

Gender, policy and fiscal reforms take center stage at 4th SWIT conference in Accra

August 19, 2026
Sammy Gyamfi challenges Afenyo-Markin to produce evidence of $1.7bn loss
Business

Sammy Gyamfi dares Minority to summon him to Parliament over loss claims

August 19, 2026
Sammy Gyamfi: Outrage as Ag. GOLDBOD CEO apologises for dollar handout to controversial evangelist
Business

GoldBod fees too small to explain $1.7bn loss – Sammy Gyamfi

August 19, 2026
Sammy Gyamfi challenges Afenyo-Markin to produce evidence of $1.7bn loss
Business

Sammy Gyamfi challenges Afenyo-Markin to produce evidence of $1.7bn loss

August 19, 2026
Wontumi’s bail bid put off to October 15 as judge stays away
General

Wontumi’s bail bid put off to October 15 as judge stays away

August 19, 2026
Next Post
Bank of Ghana records GH¢60.81bn loss in 2022

NCA and Telcos agree to supply more data to financial, utility service providers

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • We’re not negotiating; we’re executing the court’s explicit order – Nduom

    We’re not negotiating; we’re executing the court’s explicit order – Nduom

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Menzgold: 60% of customers ineligible for payment after validation

    25 shares
    Share 10 Tweet 6
  • Government pays GH¢10.8bn DDEP coupon in full

    2 shares
    Share 1 Tweet 1
  • Police investigate journalist assault at EOCO during Wontumi arrest

    38 shares
    Share 15 Tweet 10
  • GRA eyes GH¢310 billion revenue by 2028 through informal sector reform

    2 shares
    Share 1 Tweet 1

Browse by Category

  • Africa
  • Ahafo
  • Art & Entertainment
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Ashanti
  • Aviation
  • Banking & Finance
  • Bono East
  • Brong Ahafo
  • Business
  • Business
  • Central
  • Communication
  • Culture
  • Eastern
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entrepreneurship & Local Business
  • Exclude
  • Features
  • General
  • Ghana
  • Greater Accra
  • Health
  • Health
  • International
  • International Trade
  • Lifestyle
  • Lifestyle
  • Media
  • National
  • News
  • North East
  • Northern
  • Oil & Gas
  • Oti
  • Politics
  • Politics
  • Real Estate
  • Regional
  • Relationship
  • Relationship
  • Religion
  • Savannah
  • Social
  • Social
  • Sports
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Tourism & Hospitality
  • Trade
  • Transportation
  • Uncategorized
  • Upper East
  • Upper West
  • Volta
  • Western
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

About Us

© 2022- 2026 The Sikaman Times

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Regional
  • Features
  • Focus

About Us

© 2022- 2026 The Sikaman Times

QUICK LINKS

About

Privacy Policy

Terms Of Use

Advertisement

Contact

FOCUS

Ghana

Africa

International

CATEGORIES

General News

Business

Opinions

Politics

Technology

EXTRAS

Sports

Entertainment

Health & Wellness

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook Twitter Youtube Instagram Linkedin

© COPYRIGHT 2022-2026
The Sikaman Times